AccessDubuque.com

Sweet peripherals of yesteryear
Last updated on February 18, 2011 at 04:52 PM

Now that we've covered the terrible, let us take a look at those peripherals that not only worked as intended, but were game-changers. Pun intended.

A quick note: For the purposes of these articles, I'm defining a peripheral as a controller that was different from the standard, packed-in controller that came with the console.

1. The DualShock (Playstation)
1998 was an auspicious year in gaming. Square was solidifying its spot as a top-tier Playstation developer (and also making Nintendo cry like Baby Mario with a full diaper) with titles like "Final Fantasy Tactics" and "Xenogears." The first two Pokemon games finally hit U.S. shores with the terrible weight of their cuteness and utter lack of logic. And, the first in a long, long series of mergers and partnerships began to consolidate the industry, a move in the direction of the current mega-developer/publisher paradigm of today.

But which development of that year could be considered the most important? That's right, in '98 Sony introduced the original DualShock as an accessory for the Playstation 1 (it wouldn't become a standard pack-in until later).
While the N64 Rumble Pak came first, it was Sony's integrated, two-motor design that made rumbling controllers essential to the video game landscape. Also, it might be because the DualShock didn't look like the product of an illegitimate relationship between a Jaguar controller and McDonalds' Golden Arches.

The impact is hard to gauge but let's look at it this way: When Sony introduced the Sixaxis controller with the PS3 the lack of rumble was a huge complaint for many gamers. On a controller that offered wireless play, a rechargeable battery and motion control, people were outraged that the rumble was left out.

Force feedback is, for all intents and purposes, ingrained in the fabric of the video game industry, and the DualShock was essential to reaching this point. It's one of the few controllers that started out as a peripheral and then became the absolute standard for years (three console generations and counting) afterward.

2. 6 Button Arcade Pad (Genesis)
Genesis does what Nintendon't. We all remember the snarky, scattershot advertising campaigns of the 16-bit era, but one thing is often forgotten. No matter how much 'tude Sega threw at the masses of prepubescent gamers it couldn't change one simple fact: their controller kinda sucked.

Why that thing was as big as it was, considering it was accommodating but three buttons, is a mystery best left for Bernie Stolar. At least it was a sturdy, if unwieldy, beast.

The 6 Button Arcade Pad was a huge improvement, ranking up there with the Dualshock for controllers that just "feel right" while being gripped. The extra buttons also added some much needed functionality as the Genesis library began to move away from simpler, two- and three-button arcade ports.

This thing should have been a pack-in with every new Genesis from day one. I can see why it wasn't, considering Sega's not-so-hot peripheral decision-making record. Also,with the in-fighting between Sega of Japan and Sega of America at the time, it's a wonder SoA didn't get saddled with a live squid as the Genesis controller of choice.

3. The Advantage (Nintendo Entertainment System)
Nintendo has a record of being an innovator in controller design, going back long before the advent of the DS and Wii.

A lot of people opine about the NES controller, and for good reason. The replacement of Atari VCS-style joysticks and the awkward way they needed to be held was a huge improvement. Long play sessions (heck, short play sessions) with one hand curled around the bottom of a joystick probably created a recipe for early arthritis and Carpal tunnel syndrome. And, that's not even taking into account the control fidelity provided by a game pad that didn't need to be centered after every tug.

So, considering that innovation, what did Nintendo do afterward? Go to Disney Land? Have a sexy party? No, they went back and perfected the home console joystick.

Even though the slow-motion switch was basically useless, the Advantage had a lot going for it. It accurately reflected the layout of arcade cabinet controls; it had a nice, snappy joystick that centered easily; it was compatible with almost every game on the NES (minus that slow-mo option); and, most of all, it could lay flat on a surface without being held. It was recommended that it be lain on a flat, tabletop surface, which could be a strike against it, but I never had a problem simply setting it on my lap.

While specific parts of the innards (analog vs. digital, wireless, etc.) have changed over the years, the basic design and ergonomics of home arcade sticks haven't changed much from the original design of the Advantage.

If it's good enough for the Ghostbusters, well, then it's probably golden for the average gamer.

4. The WaveBird (GameCube)
It might be sad, but the thing that most impressed me when I got my Xbox 360 (my first console of the most recent generation) was the fact that it had wireless controllers. Who cares about online play, Blu-Ray, the ill-fated HD-DVD, high definition graphics or everything else that's become commonplace in the past five years? No more wires! No more wires!

The controller that proved to the world that reliable wireless play was a huge boon was, of course, the NES Satellite. I kid, that thing sucked more than Gramma when she lost her teeth on soup day.

Thankfully, Nintendo (a company that gets around quite a bit, huh?) didn't let that original abysmal failure stop them from eventually releasing the first great wireless controller, many years later. With the WaveBird, Ninten-did, in a huge way (take that Genesis fanboys).

I've spoken to more than a few people who considered the GameCube controller to be the best designed up to that time. While I don't personally agree with that statement, I can see why they would. The WaveBird took all that was sweet and delicious about a GameCube controller and added the whipped cream topping of wireless-ness.

The only feature it lacked was rumble technology. Obviously, if you've ever held a Wii-Mote, Nintendo eventually got around the problem of vibration equals short battery-life. We can probably partially thank whomever did the R&D on the WaveBird for providing a basis for including both.

When the WaveBird was finally discontinued (a somewhat strange decision, considering it's compatible with the Wii) I'm surprised there wasn't a rash of candlelight vigils for its loss. That's how well-loved it was in its time.

parn_free_knight
Recent blogs:
Recent comments:
Search the 1359 Blogs
Search for blogs in Category:   
Search for blogs in Sub-Category:   
Search for:  

Comments

Note: These Comments are submitted by TH Forum members and guests. All guest submissions are reviewed prior to publication. Content posted by TH Forum members are not necessarily reviewed until a "Suggest Removal" has been submitted.

Create a blog!
(You must be logged in to create a blog)
Most Recent Blogs
Most Popular Blogs