AccessDubuque.com

Big Numbers
Last updated on May 11, 2011 at 08:01 AM

It’s pretty common knowledge that I’m a huge greyhound racing fan. I also like to dabble in the thoroughbred racing aspect, but there’s something about those pups.

However, a couple of thoroughbred items keep flashing in front of my eyes.

$514,583.

That’s the pick 6 carryover amount at Churchill Downs.

$220,430.

That’s the super high five carryover amount, also at Churchill.

When I see that many digits, I begin to think: What the heck, might as well go for it.

Sure, you’re up against big money (groups tossing in big bucks to try and hit the pool) in the pick 6. And, it is a $2 base bet so combinations start to add up.

But why not take a flier on it? There are consolation payoffs for five correct, and you just never know.

As for the super high five, it’s a lower base bet, so you can get a few more combinations in it. (Remember, it’s picking the top five finishers in the race). While it’s difficult to hit, I think it’s a little more possible because it’s all in one race, so similar horses are running. The pick 6 covers more race types and possibly surfaces, so you need to have a broader range of knowledge.

At least that’s my thinking!

Churchill resumes racing Thursday, with the first post scheduled for 11:45 a.m.

Stakes:

* The semifinals of the 3/8th mile Derby at Bluffs Run are Saturday.

* The third round of the Gold Trophy Juvenile is Saturday night at Derby Lane.

* The second round of the Razorback Classic is Saturday at Southland.

Carryovers:

* Dubuque’s twin tri is $329.

* Derby Lane’s tri super is $12,249.

* Southland’s twin super is $36,563.

* Churchill Downs’ pick 6 is $514,583; super high five is $220,430.

erikgary
Bio: Gary works in the features department, and enjoys time with his family, fishing, coaching and an occasional visit to the track to watch and bet on the races.

Recent blogs:
Recent comments:
Search the 1359 Blogs
Search for blogs in Category:   
Search for blogs in Sub-Category:   
Search for:  

Comments

Note: These Comments are submitted by TH Forum members and guests. All guest submissions are reviewed prior to publication. Content posted by TH Forum members are not necessarily reviewed until a "Suggest Removal" has been submitted.

Create a blog!
(You must be logged in to create a blog)
Most Recent Blogs
Most Popular Blogs