AccessDubuque.com

The Second Jewel
Last updated on May 18, 2011 at 08:13 AM

Animal Kingdom goes for the second jewel of the Triple Crown Saturday afternoon.

The Preakness is scheduled for a 5:19 post time Saturday afternoon. There can be as many as 14 thoroughbreds entered.

I’ve been thinking about how to bet this one. I’m not sure how much emphasis to give Animal Kingdom.

Is he for real? Was the Kentucky Derby victory a fluke? How much quality will the entries that didn’t run the Derby bring in?

My handicapping for the Derby wasn’t stellar, as I had Animal Kingdom near the bottom (However, I did have Nehro and Mucho Macho Man in the right spots. Don’t ask about Midnight Interlude and Dialed In, though.

Based on the list on the Preakness website, several horses from the Derby are back, including those I listed above (not Nehro, who won’t be entered) and Shackelford.

There’s lots to think about by Saturday. Let the handicapping begin.

Post draw is this afternoon. Click HERE for updates. 

The wagering will start early Saturday, at 9:15 a.m.

Notes:

* I haven’t seen this on the Gulf website, but based on a YouTube video, Cry Homer set a track record Saturday night. The pup posted a 29.42 on the 550 course. Gable Sour Cream had the mark of 29.43

Stakes:

* Derby Lane hosts the semifinals of the Gold Trophy Juvenile tonight.

* Jacksonville hosts the first round of the Puppy Stakes Friday.

* Southland has the third round of the Razorback Classic Thursday night.

Carryovers:

* Dubuque’s twin tri is $710.

* Jacksonville’s tri super is $15,295.

* Southland’s twin super is $38,626,

erikgary
Bio: Gary works in the features department, and enjoys time with his family, fishing, coaching and an occasional visit to the track to watch and bet on the races.

Recent blogs:
Recent comments:
Search the 1359 Blogs
Search for blogs in Category:   
Search for blogs in Sub-Category:   
Search for:  

Comments

Note: These Comments are submitted by TH Forum members and guests. All guest submissions are reviewed prior to publication. Content posted by TH Forum members are not necessarily reviewed until a "Suggest Removal" has been submitted.

Create a blog!
(You must be logged in to create a blog)
Most Recent Blogs
Most Popular Blogs