Animal Kingdom just about got the win, and I would have been wrong big time again.
I didn't believe he could win the Derby, and he did. I didn't like him in the Preakness, and he nearly did it.
And, I think he would have if he had a little luck in the middle stages of the race.
I did like Shackleford. My other picks did OK. But, not enough to get a winning ticket.
I was hoping Animal Kingdom could break the Triple Crown jinx, though. It was very tough to not bet him to win (a heart over head thought).
So, I'm oh-fer for the Triple Crown races, with one to go. Let's see if I can improve and get a winning ticket at the Belmont.
* Lots of longshots were winning Saturday afternoon at Dubuque Greyhound Park, including SE's Rido Sam paying a remarkable $164 to win. There also was a $40 place payoff of WWW Joe Biden. I love to see the longshots winning races just to hear the sound of the crowd.
* Jumpin Jive won the 38th mile Derby at Bluffs Run Saturday by two lengths.
* Hi Noon Renegade won Derby Lane's Gold Trophy Juvenile Saturday night. He also won the Sprint Classic earlier this year.
* If you have any Delta Downs tickets, the deadline to cash them is Wednesday.
* The second round of the Puppy Stakes is today at Jacksonville.
* Dubuque's twin tri is $1,058.
* Jacksonville's tri super is $22,898.
* Wheeling Island's tri super is $11,563.
* Southland's twin super is $40,917.
* Belmont's pick 6 is $43,719.
* Churchill Downs' pick 6 is $19,827.