Memorial Day serves as the kickoff to summer for many people -- including me.
Greyhound and horse racing fans have another reason to celebrate -- there's an extra day of racing.
The majority of Americans have Monday off, so greyhound and horse tracks traditionally add a session. That means another chance to catch the races.
Dubuque Greyhound Park will offer a 15-race card Monday that includes the Memorial Sprint.
This exciting race, held on the 3/16th course, finishes in the blink of an eye. The best part is seeing how quickly the greyhounds reach full speed -- usually by the first 10 strides.
The pools are growing at Dubuque, which is another reason to check out these pups. With the signal going out, more money is being bet here and there have been some huge payouts for trifectas and superfectas. The quinella pools remain strong, and there is more money in them, too.
* Today is the final day to cash any Delta Downs winning tickets.
* The third round of Jacksonville’s Puppy Stakes is Friday evening.
* Dubuque’s twin tri is $1,058.
* Jacksonville’s tri super is $24,052.
* Southland’s twin super is $41,341.
* Belmont’s pick 6 is $43,719.
* Churchill Downs’ pick 6 is $19,827.